Thursday, April 14, 2011

Life As We Know It

Life doesn't always begin at conception or when you are born. Sometimes life doesn't get exciting until you find a reason to live it. Instead of going into my whole life story, let's just skip to the fun part where mine began.

Monday May 17th 2010, I was told I was going to be induced. I did not want to be induced and had told them after they called me to tell me I was going to be induced that I would rather have an appointment to discuss this decision that could effect my baby. I received a call back telling me to go to the hospital so I figured maybe my doctor would just talk to me about the process there. So Monday morning I call the hospital like I was supposed to and apparently they were informed to cancel my induction date which would be a blessing if I hadn't gotten my mother in law and her family to come two states up to witness the birth of my first child. So, mother in law being the anxious grandma, takes me to wamart (I was bawling over the stupid hospital thing) and tells me I was going to walk the baby out. So she made me walk for like an hour which really does no good when your cervix isn't open. You can have all the contractions in the entire world but labor doesn't get going until your cervix softens and opens up a little. Anyways, I decided the baby wasn't moving enough and we went to the hospital. They did an ultrasound and decided there was not enough amniotic fluid and that I would indeed have to be induced.

I had heard nightmare stories about pitocin stressing labor and being extremely painful so this was not the route I wanted to go.  Wouldn't have mattered because like I said my cervix wasn't opening at all. So theck some cervidell up there and told me it could take up to 12 hours. We had time. My mother in law in the same room decided that it was her time to spend with her son. She insisted that he could not eat the snacks we brought for him in front of me (even though I said he could) and dragged him off to a restaurant. Well, while they were gone, it started to get exciting. My baby's heart rate dropped drastically. A nurse came in to tell me that I could not deliver the baby vaginally and that I would be having a c-section. Suddenly there was a flood of doctors all around me and my mom had called Jason and they had barely made it. His mom was at the foot of my bed telling me how much she loved me (even though before this time she had wanted her son to break up with me).

They rushed me into the OR and gave me my spinal. The effects took over immediately but I was still scared. I kept asking for Jason and finally he came to my side as they were cutting me open. It got quiet and I heard the doctor say something about a girl then I heard the most beautiful sound in my life. My baby let out the biggest cry ever and she sounded amazing. Relief washed over me and suddenly I didn't care that my guts were displayed to the world because she was here and she sounded amazing. They cleaned her off and Jason brought her to me and she was beautiful. This chaotic moment out of all the moments in my entire life was the best. I became less apathetic and now had a purpose. I was living for her now and wanted nothing more but to give her her every desire. My recovery went well and nearly 11 months later, though we've hit some bumps in this road, I look at my daughter and am still amazed that she is mine. She is healthy, beautiful and has been given the name I've always desired for a little girl. She is my Emily. My world. My life.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your story!
    Becoming a mother is such a transforming and powerful event!
    Emily is so beautiful and you are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete