Friday, April 15, 2011

Cloth Diapers

I am proud to say that I use cloth diapers with Emily. It started when she was about 5 months old and I just got tired of running out of diapers and spending so much money. I was feeling the stress of the cost of disposables and it was overwhelming. My husband was not originally in support of the idea. He came home one day and I told him it was happening and I did it. Now he loves it. He loves the money we save and he understands how they work and everything.

I can be pushy about cloth diapering for other people though. I have a kind that I enjoy and sometimes I do find myself judging ladies who use the disposable liners. For me it was a money thing so I have a difficult time wrapping my head around the non-financial aspect of it. I have to take a step back and realize that it's not just about money but also about saving the environment.

I also have a tendency to push the idea on people whether it's for them or not. I have a friend who is expecting her second baby and I jumped at the idea that she was going to try cloth diapers. I went ahead and spent about 100 dollars on diapers for her. Then she told me that she had changed her mind. She said she wold take the diapers from me and use them in case she runs out of disposables one day. My happiness was shot down. I had planned a ginormous diaper cake for her made of beautiful cloth and now we're giving her a cake made of two tiers of disposables and one tier of cloth inserts and I'll be giving her the covers on the side. It was devastating. I realize though that it's my fault. I really should not have gotten so excited about it and jumped the gun. She did say that she would give the diapers back if she didn't use them. If that's the case I'll be owning three more diapers and be giving away a fourth to someone I know needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment